Studying about the aspects of visual impairment and detecting about the refraction error of eyes is a specialised course which is offered by institutes around the world. An optometrist would be able to diagnose minor eye disease and help you gain knowledge about which instrument such as spectacles or lenses to use in order to correct the refraction error.
When you enrol into optometry courses you should be prepared to study about medical terminologies, eye structure in details, diagnose methodology and at some institutes even study about minor surgical procedures of eyes. Let’s get to know more about the optometry courses in detail.
Career prospects of optometry courses in the world
Optometrists are the primary healthcare professionals for eye. They are delegated the responsibility to diagnose or recommend a patient to ophthalmologists who would then carry out surgery of the eye for any problem. This program is part of an undergraduate program of Bachelor of Health Science. Thus, implicating the course of optometry in the umbrella of healthcare sector. There are different career prospects open to you when you enrol into this program world wide such as:
- Independent or joint partnership with ophthalmologist: Learn about the aspects of surgery by assisting surgeons in their task of surgery for eyes. You would be able to practice as well as become efficient in your job role as an optometrist. You can also open your entrepreneurship along with an optician to help people purchase instruments such as glasses or lenses with prescription.
- Become a professor or become a head of an educational centre: You can become a professor who enunciates on the different aspects of optometry professionally. Candidates can learn about diagnosing and correcting refraction error. You can also help them acquire internship.
- Contribute to an eye care institution: By enrolling into optometry courses you can contribute largely to an eye care institution as many patients who come there are suffering from minor eye diseases. These patients would be taken care of by you and you can recommend them to surgeons in case their problem exceed your healthcare capacity.
- Researcher of healthcare sector: You can become a researcher of this field when you complete B.SC in optometry. Research methods are essential as they would make you think innovatively and you might discover something of significance in the field on optometry.
- Join the central or state government hospitals and health centres: You can pursue a career of optometry by becoming a part of a hospital or healthcare sectors of the government.